Paella – a dish to celebrate the summer (when it decides to make an appearance!)
- 4 tbls olive oil
- 50g chorizo, diced
- ½ a small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
- ¼ a courgette, diced
- ¼ a red pepper, sliced
- 1tsp tomato puree
- 100g paella rice
- 400ml stock (chicken or vegetable) or water
- A small pinch of saffron
- 25g peas
A sharp knife, chopping board, small frying pan, wooden spoon, measuring jug
How to make it…
- Heat 2 tbls olive oil in a small frying pan on a medium to high heat. Add your chorizo and cook for 3-4 minutes, then take out and set aside. Add another 2 tbls of oil to the pan, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, add the garlic, courgette and pepper and cook for another minute before adding the tomato puree and rice. Stir until the rice is coated in the oil.
- Add your stock and saffron and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender (do not stir the paella at this stage). Add your peas and gently fold through. Place the lid on and leave to stand for two minutes before serving.
Add your favourite meat or fish to this dish – we love pan fried mackeral or sea bream.